At Midwest Welding & Machine we offer excellent powder coating services that are environmentally friendly with an array of colors and finishes. In 2013 Midwest Welding & Machine installed a 10 ft x 8 ft x 40 ft powder coating oven with full sandblasting and steam cleaning capabilities. Our fast turnaround times and attention to every detail makes us your one stop for all your powder coating needs.
* powder coating:
Powder Coating is environmentally friendly and a great alternative to liquid paints. During the powder coating process it releases a low, if any, VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) into the atmosphere. Powder coating needs a clean, rough surface to guarantee good adhesion, so all surfaces are sand blasted in preparation for the coating process. The spray gun that is used to apply the powder sends out an electrostatic charge to the powder particles. Those particles are drawn to the grounded metal part and wraps around the material. Once the powder is applied the material will go into a 400 degree oven to cure.
* before bringing in your material to be powder coated:
- All parts need holes so Midwest can handle and hang the material safety and avoid any witness marks on the part.
- Rims: All valve stems, center caps and sensors need to be removed
- Disassemble all parts. Please remove any material that will melt in 400 degrees (rubber/plastic, bearings). Any parts with oil or grease on them need to be power washed before bringing the parts in. Oil and grease can contaminate our sand in the sandblasting booth.
- In order to guarantee adhesion of the powder coating, all parts will be sand blasted and be exposed to 400 degree heat. Unless other arrangements have been made (example: steam cleaning).
- Thin metals may warp or may even be damaged during the sand blasting or heating process.
- Parts that have pitting marks from rust, could potentially experience more pitting during the sand blasting process. If your material does have severe pitting marks, powder coating will not fill in those marks, leaving them still visible. There are some powder coating finishes that can help “cover up” the pits, texture or hammer finished, but the powder will not fill in the pit marks.
- We recommend that all material is completely welded at connection points. For example: If a handrail does not get completely welded around the pickets over time those areas that are exposed will rust. Midwest Welding and Machine is not responsible for future rust on material that is not fully welded.
- Midwest does not guarantee powder coating on parts that are cast or material with poor welds. Due to the material and/or the poor welds some areas can experience “outgassing” or bubbles.
* Once your project is complete:
- Powder coating is durable, but we recommended transporting your parts in moving blankets. We will protect the material with some foam at our shop, but it is always helpful to bring a blanket along just in case.
- On bigger material that needs to be transported on a trailer, please keep in mind that we might need to use the forklift or crane in the shop to load the material.
- If your project has multiple pieces/parts that we are unable to box up, please feel free to bring a friend to help load.
- If wooden stickers are needed, we do have some on hand and really appreciate it if you could return them, so we can use them for the next project.
* Recommended cleaning methods:
Midwest Welding and Machine does not recommended using chemical cleaners (brake cleaner, acetone, etc.) to clean the powder coating surface. Warm water with a mild soap and a soft cloth can be used. If the powder coating material is exposed to harmful chemicals, clean immediately.
Please stop by or send us an email with a description of your project; pictures, material list, etc. are all helpful to make sure we get you the best estimate possible.
**If additional handling/cleaning is necessary there may be an additional cost for the extra prep time**
**If any welds break during sand blasting, we are happy to re-weld the material at an additional cost**
Previously powder coated items do take additional time to remove the existing coating. We will do our best to give you an estimate on the extra cost of removing the powder coating, but it may go above our estimate.
* turnaround times:
We strive to keep our lead time around a week and a half. During the busy summer months our lead time can reach 3 weeks. We try our best to accommodate all of our clients. If you have a project coming down the line (big or small) and would like to make an appointment, please give us a call and we would be happy to get you on the schedule.
We focus on turnaround time & attention to detail
We have the ability to do large or small jobs
High quality finish for a fair price
Customer satisfaction guaranteed